Friday 16 May 2008

"What part of No don't you understand?"

I just recently saw this phrase quoted again, this time in Judi Chamberlin's article "Confessions of a non-compliant patient" which I by the way found to be one of the most powerful and encouraging writings on the matter.

Although time spent on the investigation of the mental health system truly is some of the time when this question makes itself most extremely felt, there are other moments in life, that make one want to quote it.

Thus, the other day I received a, very politely and almost flatteringly worded (I guess, this is how it works...), request to review a website and some products in my blog. I turned down the request just as politely but firmly, since I a) "on principle and without exception don't do commercial reviews" (as I stated in my refusal) nor anything only remotely reminding, "since it would be doing the same as I accuse others of doing". I am a blogger without sponsor, and I intend to remain so, adamantly!

Well, and since I b) actually are snowed under with work as it is. While I prefer to choose the work, I become snowed under with, myself.

Now, my No wasn't taken for an answer. A follow-up mail today spammed my inbox, which, although this one, too, being very politely worded, almost made me forget my manners...

So, believe me, a No from me is a No! Anyone having a hard time getting it: look it up.

3 comments:

Monica Cassani said...

the piece by Judi Chamberlin is really good.

I've had lots of offers to review stuff, but only once was I offered to be paid.

I actually accepted three of the books but did not review them. One was quite interesting but I wasn't interested in reviewing it once I had read it. I thought I might actually be interested in reviewing one of them...I was hopeful that it was going to be groundbreaking, but was disappointed. But I'm glad a got a free copy because otherwise I would have bought it!! ha!

Anyway, if I'm curious about a book I just say I will not guarantee a review but if they want to send it they can. So far I've gotten one book of three that was worth reading, but not reviewing...

Marian said...

That seems an ok way to handle this kind of "offers". Actually, I thought about adding something about that I, of course, always are interested in hearing about stuff, that might be of some interest in context with human rights/mental health issues, as long as there's no commitment involved. I didn't because I just was sooo riled-up - sometimes a bit (maybe too??) hotheaded.

Mark p.s.2 said...

thanks for the link to Judi Chamberlin's writing.